When you purchase a license for any of the NoMachine products, you will receive the license file(s) by email in a key.tar.gz archive, together with your Customer ID and password.
Keep this data safe to use them to log-in to your own Customer Area in the Support Center.
From your Customer Area you can also download your license file(s) and the corresponding NoMachine software package.
The key.tar.gz archive for the server products (e.g. Workstation, Terminal Server, Enterprise Terminal Server) contains the following files:
The Terminal Server Node subscription has only node.lic.
The AVC Pack, has a unique license file named codec.lic.
First upload the key.tar.gz archive containing your license file(s) to the host machine. You must have administrative privileges to be able to activate a license.
Extract the archive: depending on the product you will have one or two license file(s).
Activate all of them by repeating instructions below for each *.lic file.
There are some alternative ways to activate licenses:
i) activate the license from the User Interface (GUI) or
ii) by issuing the command from command line.
Both methods take care of moving the license file in the proper place and set the requested ownership and permissions.
A third way is:
iii) to make all these operations manually.
First way: activate the license from the User Interface
1) Access the Server preferences panel (e.g. click on the !M icon in the system tray and select 'Show the service status').
2) Access the 'Updates' panel. In the 'License Information' section look at the 'License files' field and click on the <node.lic> link.
to open the node license file.
3) Click on the 'Replace' button. Browse directories till the new node.lic file you need to activate, choose it and confirm.
4) If you have also a server.lic file, repeat all the operations above for such file.
In a similar way, you can activate also codec.lic.
Second way: activate the license from command line
1) Open a console on the remote host and move to the directory where you have uploaded and extracted the key.tar.gz archive.
2) Run from console and as privileged user:
<path_to_>/nxserver --activate node.lic
where <path_to_> is path to the nxserver binary.
For example on Linux and Mac: /etc/NX/nxserver --activate node.lic
3) If you have also the server.lic file, repeat the same command for such file.
For example on Linux and Mac: /etc/NX/nxserver --activate server.lic
In a similar way you can activate also codec.lic.
Third way: activate the license manually
Please refer to the following article which provides step by step instructions to manually activate a license file:
1) License compatibility
License files v. 3.5.0 are NOT compatible with NoMachine version 6.
License v. 5 (or even v. 4) are in generale compatible with NoMachine server v. 6, except for those cases in which it's requested to adopt license v.6. Please see https://www.nomachine.com/DT03O00129#1.4. for a list.
Licenses v. 6 cannot be used with a NoMachine server v. 5 or earlier.
2) Error: "No subscription information found"
Please see this article: https://www.nomachine.com/AR07D00404
3) The server version says to be an evaluation
NoMachine packages in the Customer Area come with evaluation licenses included in order to provide a software that it's fully operative once installed.
These licenses must be replaced with the customer licenses, according to instructions above.