Cannot connect after upgrade to 5.1.22

Forum / NoMachine for Linux / Cannot connect after upgrade to 5.1.22

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    EddieA
    Participant

Hi,

I just upgraded my Slackware server and Windows Client to the latest 5.1.22.  Trying to connect via the client just gives me the “spinning wheel”.

Looking at /usr/NX/var/log/nxserver.log I see this:
    `2016-04-22 17:59:34 213.050 11659 NXSERVER Starting NoMachine server 5.1.22 and services.
    2016-04-22 17:59:55 095.007 11693 NXSERVER User ‘eddie’ logged in from ‘192.168.0.2’ using authentication method password.
    2016-04-22 18:00:40 733.850 11693 NXSERVER User ‘eddie’ from ‘192.168.0.2’ logged out.

Any ideas.  Or what further information can I provide.

Cheers.

kroy
    Contributor

Thanks for the post. We were able to reproduce problem. Issue was reported to developers and it will be fixed as soon as possible. As a workaround you can disable this key: PhysicalDesktopAuthorization in server.cfg.

Change: #PhysicalDesktopAuthorization 1 to PhysicalDesktopAuthorization 0

EddieA
    Participant

Sorry, changing that setting hasn’t made any difference.  Still have the spinning wheel.

Also updated to 5.1.24 and re-tried.  Nope again.

Cheers.

kroy
    Contributor

Are you sure that you had changed server.cfg on your slackware machine? Which version slackware and which product of NoMachine you have? Is there anything written bellow spinning wheel?

EddieA
    Participant

Absolutely sure:

#
    # Enable or disable NX Server requesting authorization to the owner of
    # the physical desktop before connecting.
    #
    # 1: Enabled. NX Server asks for authorization to the owner
    # of the physical desktop before trying to connect.
    #
    # 0: Disabled. NX Server tries to connect to the physical
    # desktop without the need for any authorization from the
    # desktop’s owner.
    #
    PhysicalDesktopAuthorization 0

cat /etc/slackware-version
    Slackware 14.1

It’s the 64-bit free-version of NoMachine, installed via the tar.gz.
    All that’s on the screen is: Connecting to , Slackware
    Another observation I made to today, is that this only happens when there is no X server running, which is how I normally run NX, letting it create one on connection. Because of this issue I had run a startx and can connect to this, via NX, without any problems.
    Cheers.

olegd
    Participant

Headless? Try to set ‘CreateDisplay 1’ and ‘DisplayOwner username’ in the server.cfg. I just got the same problem with headless ubuntu and workarounded it using these settings.

redmumba
    Participant

I am also running into this issue using 5.1.22 and 5.1.24 with the same symptoms.

Turning on debug logging doesn’t yield much–it just hangs for a minute and then retries, outputting the same logging statements.  There are no error messages.

On the client side, it hangs forever waiting to get a list of services from the server.

This is on an Amazon Linux AMI, also headless.  I did not have this problem on 5.0.53 (which was installed previously).

Britgirl
    Participant

@redmumba what distribution is the Amazon image? Slackware?

redmumba
    Participant

I’m going to assume it’s based on RHEL or Fedora, since it uses yum: https://aws.amazon.com/amazon-linux-ami/

Regardless, the issue seems identical to @EddieA, in terms of behavior.  I see no errors in any of the system-wide logs that might point to the system itself.

I followed @olegd’s suggestion to have NX create and manage the display itself, and low and behold–this works.  Doesn’t this point to some sort of issue with the nxserver being able to create virtual sessions on the fly?

EddieA
    Participant

Headless? Try to set ‘CreateDisplay 1’ and ‘DisplayOwner username’ in the server.cfg. I just got the same problem with headless ubuntu and workarounded it using these settings.

That appears to have done the trick, although a little more restrictive as I have different accounts for different work patterns.

Thanks olegd.

Cheers.

Britgirl
    Participant

this only happens when there is no X server running

The issue is specifically correlated to the fact that it’s headless. Please see the Trouble Report we opened: https://www.nomachine.com/TR04N06814 and sign up to the ‘notify me’ to know when a fix has been released.

EddieA
    Participant

https://www.nomachine.com/TR04N06814:  Page not found.

Cheers.

Britgirl
    Participant

Please try again.

EddieA
    Participant

@Britgirl  Thanks.

Cheers.

EddieA
    Participant

Confirmed fixed with version:  5.1.26.

Thank you.

Cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.