Cannot find the default environment

Forum / NoMachine for Linux / Cannot find the default environment

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    EddieA
    Participant

I’m guessing that this is just a simple configuration issue, but I’m not sure what.

I created a new Slackware 14.2 VM and installed nomachine_5.1.42_1_x86_64. From my Windows system I was able to connect to this when it was running the installed KDE, 4.14.21 without any problems.

I then updated the KDE to 5_16.07 using Alien Bob’s repositories.  As part of that update, it was necessary to run xwmconfig to re-configure the system wide Window Manger.  For KDE4 the selection is xinitrc.kde.  But for KDE5, this is now xinitrc.plasma.

Following this, I can run startx locally and KDE starts correctly, but trying to connect via NX I get the “Cannot Find the Default Environment” error.

What configuration changes do I need to make.

Cheers.

Britgirl
    Keymaster
    kroy
    Contributor

Hi.

It can be caused by Wayland. We have been able to reproduce a similar problem, but to be sure can you run debug, reproduce problem and send us logs from server side? You can send them to forum[at]nomachine[dot]com or attach them here (size is restricted). Instructions about debug and collecting logs you can find there: https://www.nomachine.com/DT04M00076. Please show us or send also X processes when you are logged to desktop (ps -Af |grep Xorg).

As a workaround you can try to log to the Plasma (failsafe) or Xfce Session. If that won’t help – open node configuration file (/usr/NX/etc/node.cfg) and add line DefaultDesktopCommand "/usr/bin/startxfce4", save file and restart nxserver (sudo /usr/NX/bin/nxserver --restart). Then you should be able to start new session.

EddieA
    Participant

Sorry.  Tried all the values for `PhysicalDesktopMode and it didn’t make any difference.

So next, I turned on logging.  Logs attached.

On investigating the differences between the old xinitrc and the new, gives this diff:

29c29
    <     ck-launch-session dbus-launch –sh-syntax –exit-with-session startkde

>     ck-launch-session startkde
    31c31
    <     dbus-launch –sh-syntax –exit-with-session startkde

>     startkde

So the method of launching KDE has changed between 4 and 5.

Cheers.

EddieA
    Participant

Ha.  Didn’t see that last post while I was composing mine.

Here’s the other piece of information you asked for, when I’m running KDE at the VMWare console:

root      7029  7028  1 19:11 tty7     00:00:02 /usr/libexec/Xorg :0 -auth /home/eddie/.serverauth.7012
    eddie     7538  7532  0 19:13 pts/2    00:00:00 grep Xorg

How do I select the Plamsa (failsafe).

Cheers.

Britgirl
    Keymaster

So next, I turned on logging.  Logs attached.

We didn’t get those logs. Can you send them on to forum[at]nomachine[dot]com?

EddieA
    Participant

Unfortunately I won’t be able to send them for a few days.

My firewall/gateway/router server died over the weekend and I had to re-purpose my ESXi server to maintain my internet connectivity.  That means I won’t have any access to the VMs until I get a replacement board up and running.

Cheers.

EddieA
    Participant

Logs sent.

Sorry about the delay in sending these.

Cheers.

kroy
    Contributor

At the moment we do not support KDE5 Plasma on Slackware. So for a workaround use xfce4 (add line DefaultDesktopCommand “/usr/bin/startxfce4” to /usr/NX/etc/node.cfg) or downgrade KDE.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.