CentOS 7 – laggy display

Forum / NoMachine for Linux / CentOS 7 – laggy display

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ventec
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve installed NoMachine v5 on to a CentOS 7 box and am connecting to it remotely using my old CentOS 6 client (also running NoMachine v5)

I initially had an issue that the built in x server with NoMachine v5 just crashed the gnome session it created instantly (with a not so helpful “Something went wrong” message).

I have since then connected a monitor to the system so NoMachine can use the x server that came with CentOS 7… my problem now is that even though I can now get a desktop display its responses are incredibly laggy/sluggish… for example right clicking the desktop will take up to 15 seconds to come up… pressing space to make the CentOS 7 Splash screen go up takes about the same amount of time redrawing 3 or so times as it goes up the screen.

I’m not too sure whats causing this but back when I was using pure CentOS 6 and v4 of NoMachine I was having no issues at all, it ran brilliantly…

Any help appreciated!

In case its relevant – the CentOS 7 box is running a E5 2620 CPU, 8GB RAM & Nvidia GTX 970… no special changes have been made to the OS, its had a couple of development libraries installed and it was built off the “creative/development workstation” option in the installer.

fra81

Hi Ventec,

what does the ‘top’ command report about the CPU usage on the CentOS 7 box?

You may want to try a lightweight desktop environment, i.e. Xfce. That should also make your virtual sessions work (with built-in X server).

Ventec
    Participant

nxnode.bin has an initial spike where it takes about 100.3 but it quickly settles down. Nothing else is doing much at all really… I recall reading some other people have issues with Xorg but I seem to be avoiding that particular problem for the moment.

fra81

Would you exclude a bandwidth problem exacerbated by the more graphics-intensive desktop environment of CentOS 7? In this scenario a test with the lightweight desktop (Xfce) would help to clarify.

Another possibility is a problem with video drivers, like in the other cases you mentioned, even though the CPU is not overloaded in your case. This could be verified by running a debug library. If you are willing to test this library, please contact us to forum[at]nomachine[dot]com. We will send you the library and instructions.

Ventec
    Participant

As far as network bandwidth – theres a stable gigabit link between the client & server so I doubt that one…

The system is running the latest Nvidia driver… I’d hope that combined with a fairly recent GPU wouldn’t be a problem for the software.

I’ll send an email to that address later today referencing the thread and try out the library.

fra81

Hi Ventec,

of course even on a slow network, a 15 seconds delay would have been very difficult to explain, so something must be very wrong.

We didn’t receive your email. Did you send it already?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Closed because the user did not provide further feedback. Please notify us if you confirm that it is resolved or open a new topic if you have the same problem.