Desktop lost

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    roland_br
    Participant

I have a server HP ML350G5 on which I had an installation of NoMachine freenx 3.5.0 and replaced it by version NoMachine-enterprise-server-evaluation_4.0.370_2_i686.rpm.

It worked okay for 2 days and then suddenly my Desktop got lost.

With the previous version I used KDE-desktop. Now when i start a NoMachine session, it waits a long time and gives me a gnome-session, with a screensaver of long time ago. There are no icons and no menu-bars. The Desktop locks.

The main Desktop, Alt-F7 on the console, tries to start but without success. It repositions/restores to a normal char-mode login.

I uninstalled version 4 with rpm -e and reinstalled version 3 with yum install freenx.

The problem remains

I created another user and that works fine.

Where is the file that is doing this?

Roland

reza
    Participant

With the previous version I used KDE-desktop. Now when i start a nomachine session, it waits a long time and gives me a gnome-session, with a screensaver of long time ago. There are no icons and no menu-bars. The Desktop locks.

Set the DefaultDesktopCommand key to the same value set already set in CommandStartKDE in the node.cfg. Alternatively,  set the ConnectPolicy key to desktop=1. More about the default desktop in version 4 is here: https://www.nomachine.com/AR10K00725

The main Desktop, Alt-F7 on the console, tries to start but without success. It repositions/restores to a normal char-mode login.

The log files will be useful. Send us the $HOME/.xsession-errors and  /var/log/Xorg.0.log files.  Attach them here. Alternatively, send them to issues[at]nomachine.com

roland_br
    Participant

Maybe you misunderstood the problem.

I installed with rpm the version nx-server 4

I logged in with nx-client 4 using my profile then i used profile physical screen
    and then it happened

I lost display for my profile and on the physical(console = alt-F7 for Centos5)

then
    I reinstalled nx-server 3 and still I had no display for my profile and on the console

I still had a display for all other users who weren’t tried with nx-server 4

So, nx-server 4 does something that after a while blocks the display of a desktop

Block display means: background is still there but no more menus or icons and no input possible

I joined the files .xsession-errors and /var/log/Xorg.0

I really hope you can do something because I have this problem with 2 clients, and I’m already blocked for 4 days.

Thanks for help

Roland

roland_br
    Participant

I mention again, that all users who were not using server NoMachine 4 can still login with normal desktop on version 3.5

Could it be that NoMachine somehow does not release thoroughly running applications when stopped with alt-F4 -> terminate ?

When the server is rebooted, he says, “The graphical interface was closed 6 times the last 90 seconds, in 2 minutes we will try again on :0”

The latter text was translated from Dutch, so it will not represent 100% the English text.

Britgirl
    Participant

Could you please submit your full set logs to issues[at]nomachine.com as they didn’t attach (perhaps they were too large)?

roland_br
    Participant

I added  xsession-errors, Xorg.0.log again

and I added var/log/nx/nxserver.log

I hope you will find something. My client calls me every hour.

Thanks

Roland

titan
    Participant

I have a server HP ML350G5 on which I had an installation of nomachine freenx 3.5.0

Do you mean NoMachine Free Edition 3.5.0 or freenx from freenx? I’m asking because they are very different software. I don’t know what freenx may have changed in your environment but for sure NoMachine 4 handles the upgrade from NoMachine 3 in a way that has demonstrated to be quite seamless for most users. Additionally I have really no idea of what NoMachine 4 may have changed in your environment, since NoMachine 4 doesn’t change ANYTHING in the user’s environment, except starting whatever desktop environment you may have configured, pointing it at a different X server. Bug or unintended side effects excluded, of course.

One can be this:

https://www.nomachine.com/AR02L00776

There is a TR for this problem:

https://www.nomachine.com/TR12K04127

The solution is being released today as part of the 4.1.

About the machine not starting on the physical X server I don’t have any idea. I suggest you check if the article applies to your case and then try to start the X server on the command line without loading any desktop environment.

If the X server loads, you can try some simple X clients, like xterm. Post the results here, so that we can start from there.

reza
    Participant
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.