Grab keyboard shortcuts does only work temporarily

Forum / NoMachine for Mac / Grab keyboard shortcuts does only work temporarily

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    hirschferkel
    Participant

The option in the player settings to grab keyboard shortcuts does only work temporarily. Most of the time the shortcut e.g. on OSX to switch open apps (cmd + Tab) doesn’t switch the programs in the client but keeps to switch open program on the server. Player settings are activated but it does not work properly… any idea hoe to force NoMachine to grab all shortcuts?

Best

Tor
    Participant

Hi. You’re saying that when the grabbing keyboard option is enabled, the Cmd + Tab option goes to the remote desktop. This is exactly what the option is supposed to do. Can you please confirm the problem to be sure we’re talking about the same thing? šŸ™‚
    Also, for the investigation it is extremely important to know name and version of operating systems of client and server. Thanks.

hirschferkel
    Participant

That’s not exactly what i was writing.

I’m saying, that it is only randomly going to the remote desktop! In 80 percent it is still controlling the server side OS and does not get to the remote desktop!

OSX 10.11.6 and NoMachine 5.2.21

Britgirl
    Keymaster

Tor was asking what OS and version on the connecting device and what OS and version on the server side. You say OS X is that client or server? Also can you tell me what you’ve installed from NoMachine on the server side (just so it’s clear to others reading what your set up is). Without this information we can’t investigate thoroughly (see ‘what to include’ at the bottom)

hirschferkel
    Participant

Information for client and server are the same, i would have mentioned it, if there were differences in OS or NoMachine version. I installed the NoMachine package from your website.

Tor
    Participant

Iā€™m saying, that it is only randomly going to the remote desktop! In 80 percent it is still controlling the server side OS and does not get to the remote desktop!

Server side OS and remote desktop are the same thing. This is probably the reason why I don’t get what you mean. Are you maybe running NoMachine client remotely in another remote desktop solution?

By the way, so far attempts to reproduce issues with keyboard grabbing in our labs were unsuccessful. Maybe there is a 3rd party software interfering with NoMachine client, or there is a particular condition causing the misbehaviour.
    We’ll need more information to run a deeper investigation, so please answer to the following questions:

• Is the issue occurring when switching any application, or only some particular applications?
    • Do you’ve a single NoMachine client running, or multiple instances?
    • Do you’ve 3rd party tools that may affect user input?
    • Are you switching applications on different Spaces or Monitors?

Additionally it would be great if you could show the keyboard viewer (from Language OS X settings) and reproduce the issue while recording a video (for example with Quicktime Player).

hirschferkel
    Participant

O.k. so when i try to connect to a client, and i want to switch the program with CMD + TAB shortcut NoMachine switches the program on the server instead doing so on the client. That’s the problem. I hope i could describe it better this way.

• The issue occurs when i hit CMD + TAB from any program.
    • I have a single NoMachine running on two devices (iMacs)
    • There is no 3rd party running. With apples “Remote desktop” all shortcuts get grabbed like they should.
    • I switch apps on only one Space and Monitor
    Tor
    Participant

Hi. We didn’t find conditions causing such an issue, global shortcuts are totally catched by the client when it has the focus, so we need more information to try understand what is happening.

• Let’s assume we define “client” the machine where NoMachine client is running, and “server” the machine where you connect with NoMachine, can you please explain the following sentence: “NoMachine switches the program on the server instead doing so on the client”. That sentence is the normal behaviour when grabbing keyboard is enabled, so there is something I’m still missing in your description.
    • Do you work physically on the iMac where NoMachine client runs, or do you connect remotely to it?
    • Did you notice if the problem occurs immediately after you switch locally to NoMachine client? e.g. you’re working on application A, then you switch to NoMachine client with Cmd + Tab and start doing Cmd + Tab to switch apps in the remote desktop.

Thanks.

hirschferkel
    Participant

This is what i do:

• I connect with NoMachine to a remote client (iMac) while i’m working physically on a Mac Pro (That’s what i would call the server side, no?)
    • When the connection is enabled i can move the mouse on the client desktop and start controlling it. Everything works fine but i want to switch the application on the remote machine (iMac)
    • E.g. i’m in the Finder (iMac) on the remote client and want to switch to a desired app. Therefor I try to press Cmd + Tab
    • I get all opened programms available but not on the client! These programs are the opened ones on my machine (Mac Pro) where i started the NoMachine connection (I would call it still the server side, right?)
    • Instead of switching the Finder on the client, i leave NoMachine on the server.

That’s not how it should work, i guess…

Britgirl
    Keymaster

We are not able to reproduce this issue. Since we’ve released 5.3.9, updating is advised just to make sure whether the problem persists. We will then send you a debug package for your 5.3.9 installation.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Closed because the user did not provide further feedback. Please notify us if you confirm that it is resolved or open a new topic if you have the same problem.