Issue with connection to server

Forum / NoMachine for Linux / Issue with connection to server

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dkwolf
    Participant

Hi there guys,

Need a bit of advice. I have been playing around with NoMachine for a few weeks now. And it has worked just fine at my old location (or test at home – both places it had a monitor to it), my server has now been moved to a location where it is setup headless, so no monitor, keyboard or mouse. I first encountered the “black screen” at connect, but got that fixed by following this guide http://askubuntu.com/questions/453109/add-fake-display-when-no-monitor-is-plugged-in and made a fake display. My issue is that when I connect to my server, it doesn’t prompt me for username/password again or show me the desktop – it just shows me what you can see in the attached screenshot. I can move the mouse cursor around and I can interact with the sound/network/shutdown bar in top right, so mouse works. I have also tried to get a mouse and keyboard connected, but hasn’t helped.

I have disabled the local accept check for new connections via the config file (with this guide https://www.nomachine.com/AR04K00663)

The machine is running Debian 8.6 (kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64) with Gnomet

NoMachine software is 5.1.54

Session type: physical desktop

Local machine is running Windows 10 and NoMachine 5.1.54

kroy
    Contributor

In situations when there is no monitor, keyboard or mouse plugged-in to machine it is better to run system in the init 3 mode. NoMachine will create then a new display.

You need to log via SSH to this server (for example using PuTTy), edit /etc/default/grub and add “3” value to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT key. Then you should update grub configuration and reboot machine.

sudo vi /etc/default/grub

Change:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet”
    to
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet 3″

sudo update-grub
    sudo reboot

When system start, you’ll be able to connect via NoMachine.

We didn’t yet test the solution with installing a dummy driver which you wrote about. If we are able to reproduce the problem we will try to find a way out.

dkwolf
    Participant

oh for some reason I didn’t get a notification about your reply, but it works great now 🙂

Thanks

kroy
    Contributor

Have you tried solution from the post or have you handled it in a different way?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.