NX connection reset by peer if UDP is on

Forum / NoMachine for Windows / NX connection reset by peer if UDP is on

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    yaris.yrx
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to connect to my workplace desktop from home using NoMachine. Both machines are behind their own router firewalls. Port forwarding rule are setup for TCP 4000 and UDP 4011-4999 on workplace side.

I am able to NX the workplace PC only if the UDP is turned off.

Consider the workplace PC I want to connect is “W1” and my home PC is “H1”.

Here are the things I had tried:

1) Using another workplace laptop “W2” to connect “W1” with UDP turned on inside the same LAN. Works fine.

2) Connecting from “H1” to “W1” after turning off the windows firewall with UDP turned on. Still fails.

Might I check if you have any idea on that please?

I see the option “HTTP Proxy” but there’s no manual / guide / example available. For example, should the proxy server be on home or workplace side?

It would be really nice to see a complete example of using HTTP proxy in NX connection.

Britgirl
    Participant

Hi, this is a known issue. There is another forum topic dealing with it here: https://www.nomachine.com/forums/topic/udp-for-multimedia-with-windows-firewall

yaris.yrx
    Participant

Hi, thanks for the response.

The thread you reference is talking about windows firewall. I explicitly tested the case (mentioned in the post) and the problem is not related to windows firewall.

BTW, I have checked the previous post before creating a new one.

fra81

Hi yaris,

I still think you are facing the same bug of the other post. This crash occurs when the UDP negotiation fails, whatever the reason that makes it fail. The correct behaviour would be to fallback to TCP silently.

A fix to that TR will be released very soon in the next update.

yaris.yrx
    Participant

Hi fra81, thanks for the response. I had fixed the issue finally.

No special trick. Simply disable all router and windows firewalls on both sides, ensuring the UDP works, and then turning on the stuffs back one-by-one to examine which part doesn’t like UDP.

Basically there’re two main things in my case.

One is on the router firewall where NX client sits. It’s more vendor / model specific so I’ll skip it here.

Another is on the windows firewall where NX server sits. By default NX installer adds allow rules in windows firewall for NX Server and NX player. What missing is the NX node which UDP rely on. Everything works now after I add “nxnode.bin” in the allow rule.

Could NoMachine consider adding the NX Node allow rule as part of the standard installation in upcoming version?

BTW, I’m still keen on example of using HTTP proxy (just for my knowledge).

Britgirl
    Participant

Trouble Report open:

https://www.nomachine.com/TR08M05918

fra81

Regarding the HTTP proxy, the typical usage in on the client side. For example, direct connections to the internet are not allowed at your workplace, so you need to configure a HTTP proxy for connecting from workplace to home.

More in this article:

https://www.nomachine.com/AR04E00457

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.