One taskbar

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    czaduu
    Participant

hello, when i’m connected to virtual desktop, I want my opened applications from virtual to be visible on local desktop taskbar. how can i do it?

Britgirl
    Keymaster

I assume you are connecting to a remote Linux host (you originally opened the topic for Windows questions) so I’ve changed it since virtual desktops are a feature of our Linux products with the terminal server functionality (e.g Workstation).

When connecting to a virtual desktop on Linux, the applications are part of the desktop and you will see them only in the taskbar of that virtual desktop.

What you need to do is to ‘Create a new custom session’ which will run applications in rootless mode and you will then see them in your local taskbar. There are two ways to do this:

1) Create a new custom session for every application you want to access

OR

2) Create a new custom session and flag the ‘Run the console’ (see attached). This will start a console from which you can then launch the applications you want by using the appropriate command.

DataThomas
    Participant

Hi Britgirl,

I have a related problem!

I am fine with the applications only showing on the virtual desktop.

However, the taskbar is only showing the currently used application and not all apps that are opened.

How can I switch the style, that it shows all opened applications in a row (like on windows)?

Additionally, I would like to move the taskbar to the bottom of the screen, but I can find a tool to configure my taskbar.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Thomas

kroy
    Contributor

Running an entire desktop in rootless mode is probably better suited for lightweight desktops such as XFCE or LXDE. For example to start XFCE desktop you can use startxfce4 command. So you should Create a new custom session, choose “Run the following command” and paste there startxfce4 and select “Run the command in floating window”.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.